Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Office


How many hours a day do I work, well lets see. Depends on where I work if I am in a union hospital I get mandated breaks in a 12 hour shift I will work a total of 11 hours plus overtime if any. If it is military or non union then I work 12 hours plus overtime with usually a 20-30 minute break, however I can not go off the floor easily, If I go to the cafeteria I spend about 10 minuites of my break time in line getting food and waiting for the elevator. Often by the time I get time to get a break the cafeteria is closed or there is not another nurse that can watch my children. Now obviosly there is down time but that doesn't mean that I am mentallly not at work still. So here in Spain I am having my taste at life in an office. although work here is very different. There is buisness occuring in the morning and then there is a coffee break everyone pilled into the bosses office after a meeting to eat a typical marzapan pastry....typical event to the US. However a few hours later I was asked by one of my officemates if I wanted to go get coffee. I actually don't drink coffee but I thought I should give it a whirl and time to practice speaking. So we went for a stoll and sat a had a nice cup of cafe con leche. About 30 minutes past and we got to go back to work. This is what I do every day I arrive at 9 or 10, drink coffee, do some work and then go for coffee, then kinda work then go home. So by the time I leave at 2pm I am fully wired since I do not drink coffee, so no siesta for me. Very familiar to most. This is when all the shops and stores and buisnesses takes a break from about 2pm-4pm. Then back to work for some not all and done around 6 or 7pm. I really need to adopt this rule, 30 minute chill time and a nap...hmmm I wonder if that would fly at home?