Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What is all this I'm a Wilma


For those of you that don't know Jared and I very well we are part of a special group of people that belong to the Military family. I never thought I would meet and marry a soldier coming from Minnesota, but travel nursing and the military seemed to follow similar paths. After traveling to Hawaii and being surrounded by soldiers in the Army, Navy, Marines, National Guard and Coast Guard it was nearly impossible to not meet a military man.


Jared was a newer helicopter pilot with the 3/4 Calvary in the 25th infantry at Wheeler Airforce Base. When I met Jared I was not overly impressed by his job but more his own personality. However after spending much time together I soon realized that I had become part of his military family. I am sure people find this in all walks of military life but I was surprised as I had very little experience with the Army.


However everywhere that we have been and met Aviators I find more similarities and common ground with these families than I would have imagined. One thing I have learned being in the Army is it is hard as a wife to separate yourself from the job of your spouse. I know more about my husband's career and going ons than I really care to and way more than he will ever know about mine. However even if you have your own life outside of the Military and your husband you truly are "Married to the Military" which I might add was one of my first books given to me when Jared and I became more serious.


Anyway, after making it through two deployments, trainings far and near and several classes apart from one another, I have learned the lingo, heard the delay of DSN phone calls from Iraq, shared hugs with other wives awaiting their military aviators return, , shed tears for our losses and found respect for a wonderful group of woman that love their soldiers.


So to support this mission that girlfriends and wives carry on I have created and Icon to relate to our military family. If a Betty can be a hot chica than a Wilma can be us! A Woman in Love with a Military Aviator. We are a group similar to many military wives but yet special in our bond and pride for our loved ones job as he or she serves our country.

No comments: