Being a military spouse has a lot of advantages and disadvantages. A lot of how you feel about that is based on the type of personality you have. I have always been very independent. Since Jared and I met later in life, once we both had experienced the world outside of our hometowns, we both were very independent people. I think this has helped me to look at the military in a more positive light. If I was not independent of Jared every time he left for training or deployment I think I would have a really hard time. Granted deployments are never easy or looked forward to but there is something about being a singleton again that has its benefits. OK well don't take that the wrong way; I take my vows very seriously. My life is not even close to an episode of "Army Wives." But, being single allows you to put yourself first and to focus on things to better yourself. I think its always good to expand on things that you are good at rather it be through employment or hobbies anything to make you more marketable to new friends, employers and even to your spouse. I remember when Jared deployed I had a period of adjustment because it seemed like every moment up till his departure I was thinking about him. I had to spend as much time as I could with him, what did he want to eat, what did he want to do. I think that is only natural but I got so wrapped up in him that I didn't really know where to begin once he was on the plane.
Sadly the gym is often the first place that single people tend to go and that can be frustrating that as wives we put our spouses and children before our own health. I have lost about 10 pounds since Jared first left. Maybe it is from less formal sit down dinners, or the lack of meat at every meal. But between working out and eating something about single just makes it easier to be slimmer.
So my next endeavor is to finish my degree. I have been looking into this for several months and a few options have surfaced. I have to complete my degree by 2010 or some of my credits will not support my major any longer. I already graduated with a BS in Nursing from the University of Minnesota. However before I was accepted into nursing school I had started my degree through the intercollege program to graduate with a Public Health and Spanish Degree. Due to my acceptance in the nursing program and some of the Spanish classes being cancelled in the summer of 1999, I never completed 7 credits or 2 classes of my upper level Spanish component. So that was all I needed, I had actually already walked in the ceremony that summer prior and accepted money for a degree that never actually was completed. Sham on me I know! So it has been hanging over my head a bit that this went unfinished and was so close to completion.
My options are to go to Minnesota for the summer and pay for the summer session, try to find a college here in Washington state that has a comparable coursework and petition for approval and acceptance from the University of Minnesota, or go to Spain for the 6 week Summer Immersion Program through the University of Minnesota. OK well obviously the later sounds like the best bet but, I have not spoken Spanish in a classroom setting in about 8 years. Other than a trip to Mexico here and there, really nothing! I also have to be accepted and it is expensive. I am not really sure how Jared will feel about me exploring Europe, something we discussed doing together when he got home from Iraq, and now I would be doing it with a bunch of 20 year olds. I also would have to take a leave of absence from my job and that may be a problem as well. Other than the regular concerns about Jared in Iraq how would I get news if something happened, if the computers aren't as good can I still skype or talk to him. Is it even fair for me to go do something fun and adventurous when my husband is fighting a war. So should I stay or should I go?