Monday, June 23, 2008

Arriving in Toledo


I was accepted to the program through the U of MN at La Funacion Ortega y Gasset and decided to go to Toledo Spain after all.  There was a lot of pressure with my job as they were not going to approve a leave of absence for me.  I spent a lot of my downtime preparing for Spain Spanish a totally foreign concept for me. Here is a picture of the walls outside of Toledo. Before I left I emailed some of my future classmates as I had plans to be in the city for a few days prior to going to Toledo. We made plans to stay in the same Youth Hostel this worked great for them but for me my age as I was 30 was not such a good thing all the time. Can you believe I had to get a fake Student ID in Spain saying I was younger than I was.  It was a Joven card had to be 26 or less in school!  Oh the irony!  Anyway, I had little contact with Jared or my family in the beginning which was a little concerning on both ends I am sure, however, in my few weeks there I learned how to unlock my phone to allow other sim cards and was able to use my cell to call Jared's Skype number which was great.  The Fundacion had internet but I was staying at a Hotel down the street as they had too many students at the Fund between the last class and our class so we were in this hotel for the first month with no internet or phoneline.  We had AC which was great because it was really hot.  I lived next to Lydia and Jackie two girls that became good friends while we were in Spain and we traveled together on the weekends from time to time if our classes allowed.  Most of us had fri, sat sun off to go explore.  http://www.fogtoledo.com/index_intro_flash.php