Monday, June 23, 2008

Arriving in Toledo-The game of Charades


I am a few days behind in keeping people updated, I have been in Spain for almost 2 weeks now I think. It has been a challenging and amazing experience already. There is so much that has happened in the last week. Besides getting back on the school bus and assimulating into college life again, I am getting immersed in the Spanish culture here in Toledo. Toledo is a historic town that has many tourists, it is in the middle of the country and has many farms around the perimeter of the countryside. It has a large wall that surrounds the center of the town and there is a large river that runs along side it.
It is very hilly here, walking is challenging because of the cobble stone streets and the steep streets, the streets are very little they fit a small car with a bit of walking room on each side, but you have to be quick to jump in a doorway when cars come by as they drive fast and don't seems to wait for you to move out of the way. There are many dents on the sides of these cars. I am living in the hostel right now, I have my own room and bath, it is a really nice like a little hotel that is 3 stories and has AC. The fundacion is up a steep stairway about a 3 minute walk. We eat our meals at the cafeteria where they cook traditional Spanish foods. The food is not bad.
The first week we arrived our classes and everything are in Spanish. Directions, answers to questions, homework assignments, even the internet pages are blocked to only read Spanish. So it is hard to buy tickets and understand the bus system because you have to figure it out in Spanish on top of not knowing where you are going or how things work. Right now I feel as though I am learning cherades not Spanish, there really is not English except when the students are together or we are out on the weekend. Which unfortunatley is pretty often I guess.

There is a pool in town that I have not been to but I am dying to go because it is 36c-41c here on a regular basis, the people here say this is not bad and to expect it to get a lot hotter. I am very sad that I am moving out of the AC in the Hostel. It is soo hot in our classes and in the library.